Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Some things don't work out

So, most of my previous thoughts have been optimistic and relatively jubilant but today perhaps not as much. You will remember me ranting about love, and all the good things that come with it. And I stand by everything I said. But love also hurts, occasionally. Not so much the lack of love. But having tasted love, like tasting rice krispies for the first time. That wonderful feeling of awe and amazement at the fact that you had gone so long without realizing something like this existed. I still eat rice krispies almost every day ok, I'm a fan, haha.





















This is what love is. Snap, crackle and pop. All the different emotions that can be experienced when softly munching down a bowl of rice krispies can likewise be experienced while being deeply in love. However losing that love is very much like being forced to "forget" about rice krispies. One simply cannot forget. Can you actually imagine a world without such snappling, crackling and popping? I can't. One has tasted the sweet nectar and now is too aware to return to an environment that does not provide said nectar.

What I'm getting at is - there once was a wise poet born in 1809 named Alfred Lord Tennyson. For all his strangeness and irregularities, I think Alfred did get one thing right. He said "tis better to have love and lost than never to have loved at all". This statement makes me think very deeply about the real meaning of our mere existence. They say that it's not reaching happiness - not actually ever achieving it, but merely the pursuit of it that drives us instinctively as human beings. I guess you could relate the same train of thought to that of utter uncomplicated, unrestricted, deeply satisfying love. This is getting depressing isn't it. I guess the whole long distance thing is getting to me. Well, us. But that's slightly too personal for a blog like this.

But on the subject of long distance relationships, I think they can work, if you apply the ol' rice krispies technique. You either have to see each other in regular intervals, or not at all, otherwise that thirst, that desire for affection and physical intimacy will outweigh the love you feel for you partner, thus nullifying it's effect and in turn provoking negative energy within the relationship. So if you do ever plan to start you own adventure in the future (in the form of a long distance relationship) heed my advice and have a structured plan in place prior to the creation of the distance. People need to be with each other to experience love - constant communication can only go so far. No amount of words can every fully emulate the feeling of a warm hug from someone who loves you and whom you love in return. Be wise about the decisions you make folks, they decide your future and with whom you experience said future with.

On that note, I introduce to you another one of my favourite acoustic artists. Ironically relevant in terms of his lyrical presence. Joe Purdy - Some things don't work out :

\


I think the key is to never ever remain bitter. Regardless of what the situation is or was. But simply to appreciate all the love and positive emotion you felt for any of your previous partners. If it ended badly, why not try reconcile with an ex, even if it is just as acquaintances. That person made you who you are today, you should be thankful for that. 

So moving on swiftly - another one of my passions is film making. Writing, of course, is a plus here, because ultimately I do plan to screen write as well as direct. Now I know what you're probably thinking. Most people who wish to do such things are dreamers with their heads in the clouds. It's not exactly the most professional career to pursue, but hey, it's what I love, so it's what I'm going to do. I decided that slightly earlier this year. I've been looking around here and there, both in South Africa and outside, but it seems like realistically speaking (in terms of finances) studying in South Africa is the most appropriate option. Luckily for me, I've been refered to AFDA by many of my close friends, and it seems to suit my preferences quite well. I'm probably going to apply online and then when I get back to South Africa in October (post New York) I'll have a few months till first semester (January or so). I've actually considered going to Israel for a few months, maybe just one or two, to experience life in a kibbutz. 

Basically, there are these small little collective communities which strive for an attempt at a Utopian lifestyle. To very simply explain it, it's an attempt at the perfect, ideal society. Read more here. This highly interests me, no matter how many times people mock me about going to milk cows in Israel, haha. I think - if anything - I will learn a little bit more about myself, and hey, what's wrong with a little bit of maturing and self-awareness right? Plus it'll fit right into my whole "nomadic" lifestyle.  

I watched Sherlock Holmes yesterday! Finally - I know right. I really enjoyed the film, both from a audiences' perspective but also from a technical/analytical perspective. It was both pleasing to watch, but also very well shot, with a great score, and an even better art direction. Plus, everyone loves Rob Downey Jr. (what a ridiculous surname now that I think about it, haha shame poor guy). If you haven't seen it yet, I'd highly recommend it. I'll probably watch the second one sometime in the next few days.

I know that I mostly jump from subject to subject, but I'm literally writing whatever comes into my mind, and trying to make it sound entertaining and reasonably intellectual.

The other South Africans are already starting to leave Florida. It's weird, you get used to seeing someone every single day when you work with them for six months. You become accustomed to this person, their irritations, their likes and dislikes, their habits and mannerisms. Much like high school I guess. But these people are very much seasonal friends. After our six months, we move on and go our own respective ways. Sure, a few people end up at the same place, but it's a very low percentage. It's kinda sad in a way. At the same time however, such is life. The only constant is change. Still, it's weird not having certain people around, and the fact that it's more than likely that I may never see these people again, unless either of us make a concerted effort once we're both back in SA - which could be awhile - who knows. Makes me think it's all that more important to enjoy the time you have with the people you are enjoy. God, this is sounding as sentimental as my last entry, haha.

I love this video. What I love more than the song itself is that it was filmed in South Africa. Proudly South African!




To end this entry off on a relatively positive note, I'm going to give you a brief snippet of one of the episodes of The Ricky Gervais Show, where Karl Pilkington (from An Idiot Abroad) describes what he thinks would be the ultimate animal, assuming you could simply create and choose what it was made up of.


That's about it for this morning. Hopefully the entry wasn't too stagnated with all the emotional ranting. I've had a difficult day ok, haha, at least that's my excuse. Keep well guys, keep rockin'.

2 comments:

  1. You should write a book! I loved the Karl Pilkington video, wow that made me laugh! And I never saw the video for that Coldplay song, I enjoyed it! I totally get your views on long distance and I agree that it might be harder seeing your other half and then not knowing when you might see them again. Thats why in my situation it is better to just hold out for the whole year and then be together again for good. Anyway Mike, Enjoying the Blogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One day I would like to write a book hey :)

    It's hilarious isn't it :D

    Good luck with your long distance, it can be daunting and difficult at times. Thanks very much Kirst :)

    ReplyDelete