A lot has happened over the past two months, I suppose. As far as working in New York goes, much is the same. I've gone into the city a few more times since the last time. Met some interesting characters. On one occasion a friend and I only ended up getting back on the train home at 6am. I have to say, it has been a long time since I've done anything like that. Probably since high school. For some reason, at the time (possibly due to our levels of intoxication) we found it hilarious that I sat next to train commuters (most likely on their way to work in the morning) who had fallen asleep, and pose in some ridiculous manner. See below:
I'm officially in the system for applications for the University of Cape Town (UCT). I wrote the entry test, and sent in my end of high school marks, both of which are relatively important. If I do get in, it's going to be a close call. I didn't do as well as I should have in high school. *sigh*
In any case, if I don't happen to get into UCT, I'll be taking a year to study through the University of South Africa (UNISA) instead. Hopefully after that year, I'll re-apply to UCT and get in - second time lucky. With a year of tertiary education under my belt and - hopefully - several good marks that could translate into credit towards UCT, my application next year will be more likely accepted than this year. Of course, there's still a small chance I might get into UCT this year. I'm going to write a motivational letter, and get reference letter from some of my employers in the past 3 years since I finished school, as well as my previous teachers, all of which I hope will have good things to say about me. After sending in these references and my letter, my chances MIGHT improve, albeit not by much.
So - things are starting to move on a bit with regards to school, which is always good, right? Either way, I think I'll either be at UCT or UNISA next year. Cross fingers and hold thumbs for UCT though.
Hmm, what else have I been up to. I saw a Coldplay concert in New Jersey.
I'm also in the process of applying for my British visa. If all goes to plan, I can save enough money to travel around England and Ireland during October, November and December, before I "settle down" into the varsity lifestyle. I guess I see it as my last real chance to be free, and fill the beast that lives within me, that secretly desires to travel for the rest of his life.
Saw my first live baseball game. To be honest, it wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be. The actual game that is. The atmosphere and stadium were amazing, totally blew me away. I was literally speechless when I finished walking the stairs, and stared onto the open field, with thousands of crazed fans screaming and shouting. Not the most complimentary pictures but oh well.
I've been obsessed with buying nerdy and funny shirts recently. On my next entry I'll upload them all, but for now I'll show you my favourite, and also the only one I have online at this moment in time. I bought this shirt for a close friend and she's been so rude, hasn't worn it once.
I purchased a high definition video camera, specifically to start filming. I don't know what I'm going to film, but I know that I just have to start, somewhere. I have been feeling this urge to film, and get all my ideas out there. So I took a few dollars (ok - more than a few) out of my wallet to pay for a camera, lens and memory card. It arrives late this week. I simply cannot wait. I might actually make a short documentary about New York and the people I've known, met, live and work with before I go back to South Africa. We'll see.
For those interested, this was what I purchased:
Canon EOS Rebel T2i 18 MP CMOS APS-C Digital SLR Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Camera Lens
I've been told that the brand (Canon) was a good choice. I did do quite a bit of research, and looked at a few different options, but ultimately this was my final choice. Let's hope it was a good one. Simply CANNOT wait till it arrives.
My internet just completely fucked out. I lost about 15 minutes of writing, because of the fact that I have to share with several different people and it just cuts out when it feel like. *sigh*. I don't even feel like repeating myself, because it won't be eloquent or genuine, but I'll try do my best.
My sister, Kathryn, recently asked me to download some music for her, so that when I get back to SA she can have this huge collection of soft rock, acoustic, and indie rock. God, I love her taste in music. It's in the genes, haha. Anyway, one of the bands she asked me to get was Manchester Orchestra - which I had previously not been acquainted with. I listened to some of their stuff, and it was decent, but nothing amazing. By pure chance however, I stumbled upon some music that Andy Hull had created and written, as a solo side project. He is the lead singer songwriter, rhythm guitarist for Manchester Orchestra. I fell in love immediately. His side project is called "Right Away, Great Captain!". If you'd like some more info, click here.
I'm going to share my two favourites (so far!), because sharing is caring.
Like Lions Do:
They have many more great songs, but I'd encourage you to do a bit of exploring yourself. Buy some of their music. Appreciate good music where appreciation is due. I pre ordered the new Mumford and Sons cd. So very excited :D
Probably one of my all time favourite bands. On a relative note, I'll be watching Bob Dylan live, in less than half a month - assuming all goes to plan. YAY.
So, I had several other paragraphs before my internet dropped, and I lost all of it. I'm sorry but it's almost 3am and I'm exhausted. I feel like I owe something. More of a description of the past two months of my life. Even if it's just myself that I owe it to. But I really am simply too tired. I'll try make my next entry when I get my camera, in a few days. Time to watch some tutorials on my editing software. Hollywood - here I come (haha, yeah right!).
-Mike






I liked this blog, MOAR!
ReplyDelete